Pages

28 Aug 2009

Stargazing

Personally, I think there is more to university life than getting good grades and scoring well. That's part of the reason why I took Einstein's universe and quantum weirdness. On one hand I have been interested in relativity and on the other I want be able to take away from the module something about life itself, something akin to child-like wonder.

Enter into the equation if you will, a lecturer that almost bursts with passion about physics incorporating fragments of Einstein's life stories and that of his contemporaries into his lectures and you have the recipe for igniting a life-long love and respect for physics.

Part of this love dissipated when my shoes sank into the muddy field for one of the two stargazing sessions required for this module but what I saw more than made up for it. That tiny speck in the sky is Jupiter and its cloud bands. And the moon never looked closer, or more marked with craters.

It is these times I feel that the learning really starts.



taken from the eyepiece of the telescope

No comments:

Post a Comment