Pages

1 Sept 2010

But will it make you happy?

Thanks to this article, I am now of the opinion that we do not need more stuff.

In fact, everytime I consider a purchase these days, I find myself questioning if I could do without it instead and be perfectly happy. And the answer most times is yes. However, some things do not go. These include books, performances now and then, violin classes and gatherings with friends and family, even to treat them. An experience, the article posits, produces longer-lasting satisfaction than plain old material purchases.

One reason, I think is that these experiences don't come easily. They have to be worked at, thought through even planned. For example, it takes collective effort for a group to make time for each other to come together for a meal perhaps for a treat. Compare this if you were to spend the money instead on a shiny new digital camera. Experience requires work and that makes them all the more satisfying. And if these experiences don't come often, we are able to appreciate them all the more.

This realization only got me thinking about what I aspired to have before. A big fancy car is definitely out of the picture as is a couple of other things. What is I want now are more experiences rather than just stuff.

I want more and you should too.

No comments:

Post a Comment