Pages

15 Mar 2009

Creama Catalana

The first time I had Creama Catalana was when I staying in Italy with my host family. They brought us out to eat at a nearby restaurant. The presentation of it was really quite interesting. Just before they served the custard-like dessert, they caramalise sugar sprinkled on top using a mini blow torch. The taste was what took the cake. It was fabulous.

"Delicioso", one of the few italian words I learnt in my short stay was articulated to my hosts and on our last day of stay there, they even prepared it specially for us.

That was more than one year ago. The memory of the smooth heavenly custard stayed with me till Friday and I decided enough is enough and got down to making it.

I learnt from Chef Jean Pierre via youtube. I must say, it is quite amusing to watch it now. In any case, I followed his recipe(more or less) , had a bit of help from my sister and mum and popped the batch in the oven.

The waiting time was far longer than the time it required for preparation. In the 45 minutes it was in the bain-marie , the Creama Catalana rose quite a bit and the smell was rather drool-inducing.

The final taste test ? Well... ... I guess it wasn't too bad. It was nothing like what I had in Italy though. Something tells me it's the cinnamon powder.

3 comments:

  1. ya its the cinnamon powder. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. huili: Erm. Haha.
    blisterfeetinneedoffilng: My sister's fault! Haha

    ReplyDelete