Pages

17 Apr 2011

Grande valse brillante

The violin exam came and went and before I knew it, the preliminary results were in, the SMS came in from my teacher telling me about it and just today, some 2 weeks from my exam, the report card came in.

Mostly, I was just thankful I passed. Out of the three set pieces I really enjoyed playing the Chopin the most. Scales and arpeggios were more or less stable. The sight-reading was done faster than I was accustomed to and mainly I just put on a brave face and ploughed through the music.
For Aural I wasn't really very confident in one part and asked the examiner to repeat the phrase again to which she helpfully give me only the opening note and,believe it or not ,I just ad-lib from there. True story.

Everything considered,
it was quite tough to start practice at the end of a long day, but once I started ,the time would just fly by and it would be 10pm.It helped that I had a blast with my violin teacher in the process and with the coming one not looking to be a walk in the park either, I guess it down to more wonderful times with the violin.

Lord Cutt's March - Anon.

Tempo was very well chosen and playing was colourful and neat. The music was well known and there were just small slips in bow control.

Grande valse brillante, Op.18 - Fryderyk Franciszek Chopin
A stylish opening with a very well contrasted middle section. Playing was colourful and mostly very neat.

Old Joe Clark - Anon.
A lovely pace was set and varied colour and articulation characterised the theme and variations. A very good performance with just a slip in control at the end.

Scales and Arpeggios
Pace was appropriate and scales were steadily played. Intonation was secure and there were just small slips in bow control. Arpeggios secure and mostly neat.

Sight-reading
Key was recognised and pulse was mostly steady. A musical approach - some rhythmic errors.

Aural tests
Good responses- small error in b)

Additional comments
Congratulations! An excellent result. It is encouraging to hear vibrato at this early grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment