Pages

4 Apr 2008

NUS's best kept secret

This secret was actually divulged to me by 13mostlyharmless37.

It is a site called Naxos music library accessible free for all NUS students. So what is it?

from the official Naxos website:

The World's Leading Classical Music Label


So to test out how wonderful it is, I searched for Jean Sibelius, whose music I am rather addicted to listening to. And this was what I saw when I clicked his name.



His entire discography can!?! I nearly cried out loud.

Apart from listening to the music, the site also provides write-ups on the pieces you are listening to, much like the CD sleeves of actual CDs.

The thing about the site is that it only streams music, which it does, very well but it would be perfect if it allowed us to download them.

One area of improvement would be the search function I think. When I first searched Jean Sibelius, ALL albums with his name came up, listed alphabetically. Compilations like 101 top classical music and Adagio Chillout left me feeling rather perplexed. What I wanted was actually only albums with his Symphonies. A further refinement of my search parameters helped somewhat.

What I absolutely loved though was the playlist that you create once you found the songs that you want to listen to. It opens up in a new window so that's great for browsing sites while listening to your songs.

In a nutshell , if you are a classical music bluff, this site is for you. Even for not so classical music inclined person like me, I found it absolutely wonderful, listening to Vaughan William's tuba concerto amongst other works.

But that's just me. Go try it already. With that and Sibelius's Symphony No. 2 playing in the background, let me introduce you to NUS's best kept secret, NUS's Naxos music library. Enjoy! =)

3 comments:

  1. actually i also feel like crying when i see this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Help me find one that give free scores! =)

    Beside this www.sibeliusmusic.com haha.

    ReplyDelete